Re: Possible to "dnf upgrade" in a Fedora Gnome without the need to reboot?

On Sun, 2017-09-10 at 15:03 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > All that means is that you're running out-of-date systems on your
> > servers.
>
> It's also a strong hint that it's possible to have machines up and
> running for such a long time.

That isn't news. Anyone who has used or administered Unix/Linux for the
last 4 decades or so, as I have, knows this. The question is whether
you want to actually maintain your system in a stable and secure
condition, or just try for some meaningless uptime record. If it's the
former, you'll update it when it's prudent to do so, which of course
depends on your specific situation.

> That's what this whole debate basically is about: less maintenance
> work  and more usage of the machines - and to reach that I (and probably
> quite a few more than just me) need at least less reboots. It's
> doable, see Bill Shirley's machines, and yes: it might need quite some
> work to reach that target - question remains: does anyone care?  ... :)

Speaking personally, no I don't care. I have never used the Gnome
update system and cannot imagine why I ever would, but it no doubt
works for some people. OTOH I do reboot my personal machine quite often
as I update it every morning using dnf. That's my choice. The reboot
generally takes about 30 seconds, unless I'm running a Windows VM in
which case I usually try to shut it down properly, which can take a
long time. If I were administering a mail and web service with several
thousand users, as I once did, I simply wouldn't be using Fedora but
CentOS or some other LTS distro. And I would still reboot it when
necessary, after a judicious advisory period.

poc