Re: Lost wired connection

On 07/10/17 11:10, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 09 July 2017, Stephen Morris sent:
>> Sorry, I wasn't referring to TB's reply functionality as being a list issue, I
>> agree with you that the functionality implemented by TB is stupid, and I'll see if
>> I can post an issue on it on the post site that was discussing all the plugin
>> support issues in Firefox and possibly TB that were originating with versions 52/53.
> I'm wondering if that irritating behaviour can be bug reported as being non-RFC
> compliant. Thunderbird's behaviour is a serious screw-up.

Well, your assertion has been cause for continual debate over the years.

If one were to consider only RFC-822 they probably have a fairly strong argument.
But, as I think you know, there has been quite a bit of exchanges concerning munging
of headers by mailing list SW.

Now, there is RFC 2822 which obsoletes RFC 822.  It "clarifies" things a bit in
section 3.6.2 “Originator fields”.   The relevant portion states:

   When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
   indicates the mailbox(es) to which the author of the message suggeststhat replies
be sent.

The contention is that the mailing list software is not the "author" and therefore
should not be adding this to the headers and if it appears in a message from a
mailing list it should be ignored.

There is RFC 2369 which is related to mailing lists and it provides a List-Post
header which it is suggested should be the header mail clients honor.

I have not checked the code or done any experiments, but I've seen it claimed that
kmail is now using the List-Post header to determine what the default "Reply" means.
The claim is the have a "Reply to Author" option to override.  The difficulty (at
least for me) is that if you right click on any message in kmail and look at the
reply options you get all the options including "reply to list" even if the message
isn't from a mailing list.  So, to check the claim one would have to look at the code
or manually edit the mail in the message store and check how that affects behavior of
the default reply action.

So, I think it could be argued that if T-Bird is going to ignore the Reply-To header
for messages from a mailing list they should have at the same time added support for
the default reply of mailing list messages use the List-Post header.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly