Re: Lost wired connection

On 7/6/17 8:03 AM, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 07/05/2017 02:41 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 6/24/17 4:20 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 06/23/2017 11:08 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 06/23/2017 05:39 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
Having mentioned the TB subject, I also have "problems" with the
upstream versions of TB I use when interacting with this mail list.
TB has "reply", "reply all" and "reply list", where "reply all"
works as expected, whereas if I use "reply" to say respond to your
email then that build the reply to send it to you and not the
mailing list, so to reply to the mailing list I have to use "reply
list", and I have never been able to work out why and whether its a
mailing list issue or a TB issue.
It seems to be a recent change to the list that the reply-to is now
set to the original sender instead of the list address.  But thanks
to you mentioning the reply to list option in TB, I just noticed that
button and then found the shortcut key is CTRL-SHIFT-L for that.  I
will train myself to use that in future.
I just checked the email headers and the reply-to still points to the
list!  I have discovered that it is a change in TB after all. That is
rather annoying.  See
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/ :

"When replying to a mailing list, reply will be sent to address in
 From header ignoring Reply-to header"

Sorry for blaming the mailing list...
On reflecting when this occurred, it seems that it did first start
occurring in the old version of TB mentioned in the release notes, but
what I now need to work out is, when there are multiple entries in what
TB shows as the To address, how TB selects the right one to reply to
when using 'Reply to List', or whether its not using the reply to tag at
all, and is using the List_id tag instead. I say this from looking at
the source for Rick's reply where I noticed a reply-to tag and a List_id
tag both referencing the mailing list address.
I wonder if "Reply List" actually picks up the "List-Post" header (if
present) and uses that, whereas "Reply" just picks up the "From" header.
Regardless, I'd still consider it incorrect behavior. "Reply" should use
the "Reply-To" header if present and resort to the "From" header if
"Reply-To" isn't present. Whether it's a list posting or not is utterly
irrelevant for "Reply".

Only the "Reply List" button should care if it's a list posting or not,
and should also use the "Reply-To" header first, falling back to the
"List-Post" header and "From" headers (in that order). Why the TB people
made such a non-intuitive (and IMHO completely wrong) change is beyond
me.

I agree with you Rick, this seems counter-intuitive to the way most mail clients work.

Having said this though, I can't help but wonder if the mailing list server is playing around with things, as looking at this email of yours I can see reply-to, list-id, archived-at, list-archive, list-help, list-post, list-subscribe and list-unsubscribe tags all of which contain fedora addresses.

I'm using TB 56.0 and I still forget sometimes to use "Reply List".

regards,

Steve