Re: Fedora on a NUC?

On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 02:35:56PM -0400, Temlakos wrote:
> On 06/22/2017 05:54 PM, Fred Smith wrote:

> >>if you're inquiring about "makemkv", as I mentioned earlier, here is
> >>a site that tells you how to install it on Fedora Linux. Note that
> >>I have not followed the directions on this site, so I can't vouch
> >>for them. (right now I can't find the bookmark I had made to the place
> >>where I got the instructions I did use.)
> >>
> >>https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-makemkv-on-fedora-linux
> >>
> >>One thing they don't tell you about is needing a registration key
> >>to actually make it work.
> >>
> >>The bookmark I seem to have lost showed where to go to get a key
> >>for current beta versions. Dang, I'm gonna need that soon.
> >OK, I found the needed info. You can build the latest makemkv beta
> >by following the instructions here:
> >
> >http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224
> >
> >I'm compiling on Centos 7 and there are a couple of compilation errors
> >that need to be fixed. Solutions were easy to find by googling for the
> >full error string. Shout if you need help with them.
> >
> >follow instructions at that page for compiling and installing.
> >
> >go to this page to get a temporary registration key:
> >
> >http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
> >
> >and if you like it, you can go buy a license which will get you a
> >permanent key.
> >
> >enjoy!
> >
> Your instructions at the makemkv.com forum left out one key step.
>
> How am I supposed to install the required dependencies using a
> method more appropriate to Debian or Ubuntu, when I'm using Fedora?
>
> I don't do apt-get. I need an rpm command. Where is it? How can I be
> sure that I have installed the dependencies that other method
> requires?
>
> Also: must I recompile with every new release of Fedora? Fedora 26
> is coming out any day now. Must I wait?
>
> Temlakos

there are two links on one of those pages where you can download
directly the two .tgz files you need to do the build.

AFAIK the makemkv folks do not provide binaries for linux because it
is too much work to keep track of all the various distros. But they
do make the pieces you need available.

so, assuming a F25 binary doesn't workon F26, then yes, I suppose you
would need to recompile.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked