Re: Fedora on a NUC?

On 07/06/2017 11:35 AM, Temlakos wrote:
> On 06/22/2017 05:54 PM, Fred Smith wrote:

>>> if you're inquiring about "makemkv", as I mentioned earlier, here is
>>> a site that tells you how to install it on Fedora Linux. Note that
>>> I have not followed the directions on this site, so I can't vouch
>>> for them. (right now I can't find the bookmark I had made to the place
>>> where I got the instructions I did use.)
>>>
>>> https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-makemkv-on-fedora-linux
>>>
>>> One thing they don't tell you about is needing a registration key
>>> to actually make it work.
>>>
>>> The bookmark I seem to have lost showed where to go to get a key
>>> for current beta versions. Dang, I'm gonna need that soon.
>> OK, I found the needed info. You can build the latest makemkv beta
>> by following the instructions here:
>>
>> http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224
>>
>> I'm compiling on Centos 7 and there are a couple of compilation errors
>> that need to be fixed. Solutions were easy to find by googling for the
>> full error string. Shout if you need help with them.
>>
>> follow instructions at that page for compiling and installing.
>>
>> go to this page to get a temporary registration key:
>>
>> http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
>>
>> and if you like it, you can go buy a license which will get you a
>> permanent key.
>>
>> enjoy!
>>
> Your instructions at the makemkv.com forum left out one key step.
>
> How am I supposed to install the required dependencies using a method
> more appropriate to Debian or Ubuntu, when I'm using Fedora?

You use dnf. The package names will be different (Fedora's development
packages use "-devel" instead of "-dev" and they're packaged differently.

> I don't do apt-get. I need an rpm command. Where is it? How can I be
> sure that I have installed the dependencies that other method requires?

You install what you think you need via dnf, then you try to build it.
If the configure or build steps puke, you look at the messages and
figure out what packages you need to install to clean that up. Based
on what Ubuntu seems to need, my guess is you'd need to:

	sudo dnf install gcc pkg-config gcc-c++-c6x-linux-gnu gcc-c6x-linux-gnu
openssl-devel expat-devel libavc1394-devel mesa-libGL-devel qwt5-qt4-devel

That's JUST a guess. There's no clear relationship on the libavcodec and
libgl1-mesa packages and Fedora uses qt5.

> Also: must I recompile with every new release of Fedora? Fedora 26 is
> coming out any day now. Must I wait?

That's up to you. I doubt this will be part of the Fedora universe due
to the licensing issues, you'll need to build it yourself or convince
someone at Fedora or rpmfusion to maintain a package for it.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-    I'm telling you that the kernel is stable not because it's a    -
-    kernel, but because I refuse to listen to arguments like this.  -
-                                              -- Linus Torvalds     -