Re: attempts to hack in?

Allegedly, on or about 01 July 2017, William Mattison sent:
> * I only access this system via the keyboard and trackball physically
> connected (via cables) to the system.
>
> * I do not want anyone to be able to connect into this system from
> outside.  I myself have no need to connect to this system from
> outside.

And if you have no other devices on your LAN that you're going to SSH
into this box with, either.  I suggest you simply shut down the SSH
service (disable and mask it).  Far better to stop the service, than try
to protect it with a firewall (they're not infallible).

If I were you, I'd go through your firewall config, learn how to turn
default remote access to denied.  By the looks of your other messages,
it's allowing everything.  In my case, for any SSH attempts to have even
got into the log, I would have to allowed them through the firewall,
first.

Changing the default input policy to denied means that nothing comes in
unless you deliberately allow it, either by putting holes in your
firewall, or by doing some activity where a response is expected to come
back (called related traffic - such connecting to a FTP server, and it
connects back to you).  Related traffic is usually allowed, there's
supposedly enough smarts in the design of IPtables that it can recognise
what ought to be allowed return traffic, as opposed to what ought to be
unrelated return traffic (e.g. you browse a website, and it probed your
SSH server).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
(always current details of the computer that I'm writing this email on)

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Television should really come with an intelligence knob. I've tried
adjusting the brightness, but it didn't help.