Re: attempts to hack in?

Wow.  Hot topic!  I view all this here:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In past threads, the oldest messages were at the top, and the newest at the bottom.  Why is it "upside down" in this thread?!

I have skimmed the responses so far.  But I've had to focus on my other problem (how to (re?)construct grub menu) today.  That problem remains incompletely or not correctly diagnosed.  Once that is closed, I'll focus on this issue.

Quick answers to a few questions:
* This system has an ethernet cable connecting it to an Arris "phone modem".  As far as I know, I have no control over the modem other than on-off switch, a reset button, and the power cord.  The modem is connected to Comcast via co-ax(?) cable.
* Nether this system nor the modem has any wireless ability.
* I only access this system via the keyboard and trackball physically connected (via cables) to the system.
* I am the sole user of this system.  However I have set up a few different user accounts for different uses.
* I use this system for web access (Firefox) and public (yahoo, gmail, etc.) e-mail.
* I do not want anyone to be able to connect into this system from outside.  I myself have no need to connect to this system from outside.

Earlier today, as suggested by this list's guidelines, I created a Fedora People account so I could have a place to post things (logs, files, screen captures, etc.) for members of this list to view.  But when I do the ssh command to connect, all I get is "permission denied".  I was hoping to put the log extracts out there for you to examine for better clues.  I'm guessing that that will now have to wait until after the Independence Day holiday, and after the grub issues are closed (so the logs will be clean of all the root activity I'm having to do to diagnose and fix the grub issues).

I will keep watching this thread.

Have a good weekend!
Bill.