Re: Modern webmail client

On 06/06/2017 02:17 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 06/06/2017 02:01 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Just to clarify for others reading this thread, Squirrelmail is a
>> web-based mail _server_, not a client. It pulls mail off an MTA (mail
>> transport agent like sendmail) by either behaving like an MDA (mail
>> delivery agent) or by using a real MDA such as dovecot.
>>
>> Users then use their web browser as an MUA (mail user agent) to pick
>> up their mail from the server rather than a traditional MUA such as
>> mutt, pine, elm or graphical clients such as Thunderbird, Geary,
>> Sylpheed or (gasp!) Outlook (yes, I actually said the "O" word! Don't
>> hit me!)
>>
> Assuming I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, this isn't
> correct.  Squirrelmail is a PHP-based MUA that talks IMAP and SMTP to
> the appropriate servers.  It generates an HTML gui for the web browser
> to interact with.

In the classic sense, a MUA lived on your local machine, extracted
messages from an MDA via POP3 or IMAP (or even wacky things like MAPI)
and deposited them on the local machine. Most modern MUAs now default to
working with messages left on the MDA but offer the option to download
messages from the MDA to "local folders". Those messages can be either
erased at the MDA or left on the MDA with the option of marking them as
"read".

I think of Squirrelmail as a remote MUA or an MUA proxy. The MUA
functionality remains on the Squirrelmail server--not on the client as
in a classic MUA. It simply uses the browser to do the GUI part of the
job. You have to explicitly request downloading of messages as they
ordinarily stay on the MDA. Ancillary things like contact lists,
calendars and whatnot are stored in databases on the Squirrelmail server
(or whatever its backing store is). Unless told otherwise, nothing stays
on the client. POP3 and IMAP are not involved between the Squirrelmail
server and the client accessing it. Only http(s).

As with any client/server mechanism, sometimes the functionality lines
are blurred but that's how I view it. Now, things may have changed since
I last futzed with Squirrelmail, but that's the way it used to work. As
I said in another posting, it's been a long time since I was active in
webmailish things.