Re: Modern webmail client

On 06/06/2017 02:14 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 06/06/2017 11:42 AM, Alex wrote:
>>> Hi, we have fedora25 set up with apache and dovecot and have been
>>> using squirrelmail. We're looking to replace squirrelmail with
>>> something more modern and "responsive" on mobile.
>>
>> Just to clarify for others reading this thread, Squirrelmail is a
>> web-based mail _server_, not a client. It pulls mail off an MTA (mail
>> transport agent like sendmail) by either behaving like an MDA (mail
>> delivery agent) or by using a real MDA such as dovecot.
>
> Yes, I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear, thanks.

No worries, but missives on this list get quoted a lot on other lists
and archives. Just wanted to make sure folk understood what was going
on.

>> Whatever you choose, keep in mind that mobile users will suffer from
>> bandwidth limitations, connectivity issues and the like. The "busier"
>> the web pages are, the more likely you're going to have mobile users
>> whine about latency, disconnects, buffering and other issues inherent
>> in mobile access. That's the nature of the beast.
>
> Another great point.

I deal with streaming a LOT. You can't believe the number of people who
want to do live HD streaming from handheld devices and wonder why the
quality often, well, sucks or why they keep getting disconnected.

> Thanks everyone for your feedback. Mobile seems to drive everything
> these days. I'll push back again about a mobile webmail client (as
> it's referred to by those using it).

Again, the webmail client is just a web browser like Firefox, Chrome,
Opera, Safari, Epiphany and the like. You're dealing with the server.
You may have to bugger the way the server deals with various browsers
(working around gotchas, dealing with presentation issues such as
fonts, SSL ciphers, etc.).

> Can I expand my question to more generally ask about the best
> squirrelmail replacement these days? Roundcube? Rainloop?

I haven't used any of them. Back in the day I set up and used Gnu/Hurd
and its underlings. The primary two items (webmail and calendars) got
sucked into Squirrelmail and my career changed direction so I've lost
touch with that whole end of the ISP world. I'm sure others here are
much more in tune with that arena and will offer sage advice.