Re: Fedora command for motherboard clock condition (from: f24 boot fails; need help).

Allegedly, on or about 18 May 2017, stan sent:
> The kernel sets system time from the saved time, and then corrects it
> from the web when net access is up.  If it is too far off, it won't
> correct it.

Hey, what?!

You can't set a clock from a stored value, time is a moving thing, it's
(now) not going to be what the time *was* when you shut down.

The hardware clock runs continuously.  The system reads it at start up,
eventually sets the software clock from it.  Can tinker with it while
the system is running, to keep it accurately in sync with real time.
May completely ignore the hardware clock while the system is running.
Can set the hardware clock to precise real time from the software clock
before shutdown.

While its true that if the clock is wildly out, for some unknown reason,
that some OSs may kick the clock forward to the time last logged on the
harddrive somewhere.  It's not a particularly good solution.  And
certainly not how to set a clock.

As for checking the status of the battery.  Most BIOSs had a screen that
showed you system voltages, somewhere, including the battery.  There are
various system probing utilities that your OS can use to see things like
CPU temperatures, fan speeds, etc.  There may be an accessible sensor
for the battery.

But consider this:  The shelf life of some of these batteries is 5 to 10
years.  That's stored, unused, in its packet.  Your system is using the
battery.  If it's around three years old, then replacing it to see if
things improve is a reasonable thing to do.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

I reserve the right to treat other people in exactly the same way that
they treat me.