Re: Fedora command for motherboard clock condition (from: f24 boot fails; need help).

On 18 May 2017 at 23:25, William <mattison.computer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fedora seems to have a huge number of commands.  Does Fedora have a command
> to report the condition of a full-sized tower motherboard battery?  If yes,
> what is that command?

I don't think there's any way to check on the status of a motherboard
battery short of removing it and putting a meter across it, but you
can monitor the CMOS clock and get an idea of how well it is
performing using the "chronyc" command line tool included as part of
the "chrony" package.  The bits you are interested in are the
Frequency value in the system clock tracking - the further from zero
in ppm, the worse the clock is performing - and the RTC data.  Run
chronyc from a shell, then enter the commands "tracking" and "rtcdata"
(without the quotes) at the chrony> prompt.  "quit" or "exit" will
return you to the command prompt, "help" will provide info on other
commands, or see the man page for chronyc.

I'd start by checking the clock in the CMOS on a reboot though - it
could just be that it has somehow ended up several hours out from what
it should be, but is actually keeping fairly good time and has a
decent battery.  Sync it up to the actual time, run the system for a
few days, then see what chronyc reports for the tracking - if it's not
doing well, then a new CR2032 battery a good next step.

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe