Re: f24 boot fails; need help.

On Mon, 15 May 2017 21:44:53 -0000
"William Mattison" <mattison.computer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've wrestled with this for some 3(?) days now.  I'm still stuck.

Trials and tribulations are good for the soul.  ;-)  Except when they
happen to me.  :-D

> I did find a "rescue" mode, and I was able to get in to it.  But it
> didn't really help. Two IT grad students came and tried to help, but
> couldn't.

I keep more that one active version of Fedora around, so don't really
use rescue mode.  When I have a problem, I just boot another version of
Fedora to do any maintenance required.  Because of that, I don't really
have any familiarity with rescue mode, but I think that if you are in
rescue mode, you have to mount the original root system my using
mount /dev/sda? /mnt/Sysimage
where /dev/sda? is the root device of the system you are trying to
rescue.  You then have access to that file system.  It might not be
Sysimage, so you could do an ls /mnt to find what it actually is, or
create a directory under mnt, and mount there.

> In the rescue mode, I tried to use "fdisk" to get the device ID for
> the USB stick.  (The stick has files on it from both my Fedora system
> and my windows-7 box.)  No hint of a device ID for the stick.  The
> "lsusb" command gives me "Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05dc:a786 Lexar
> Media, Inc. JumpDrive Retrax".  Still nothing that I can use for the
> first parameter of the "mount" command, right?  From within the
> dracut shell or rescue mode, how can I get the correct device ID to
> use as the first parameter of the "mount" command"?

If the kernel recognizes the device, then lsblk -f should show the file
system type in the output.  From the man page for lsblk,
"""
Note that lsblk might be executed in time when udev does not have all
information about recently added or modified devices yet. In this case
it is recommended to use udevadm settle before lsblk to synchronize
with udev.
"""
A recently mounted usb device might meet those criteria, and be missed
unless you run udevadm settle.

> In the rescue mode, I could not find
> "/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt".  I did find the long (>1000 lines)
> log from the last "rpm upgrade".  It showed no problems.

I think that is only available from the dracut shell.  It's my
understanding that rescue mode != dracut shell.

> I installed Fedora on this dual-boot workstation about 4 years ago.
> It took a few days, mostly wrestling with the first few steps.  I
> still don't know what I finally did different so that it worked.  I
> do not recall what kind of file system this Fedora system has.  I am
> a home user, not a sys. admin.  How can I find out from within the
> dracut shell or the rescue mode?  This seems to be essential to
> following ShenEn's or Stan's advice.

I think the lsblk command above will do that.