Re: firefox: characters showed as squares

Tim:
>> On all pages, or just some?

Frédéric Bron:
> It's funny you ask that question because I did not look further: just
> searched anything on google like "bonjour".
> Now I have tested other sites and in fact it is only the google site.
> yahou is fine for example.

You may want to try flushing your browser cache, in case you have some
mangled google content stuck in the cache.

>> The text you read is encoded (each character has a number, in ASCII
>> the letter A is character number 65).  The default (when a webserver
>> has provided no information about the encoding it used), for the web
>> was US-ASCII (these days, a default of UTF-8 is a reasonable choice).

> Yes, I also checked the encoding and UTF-8 was selected. Nothing else
> worked.

I'm still using an old version, so the information I'm providing
pertains to how things are expected to work, in general:

The default encoding scheme is what your browser will use when the
webserver doesn't identify what scheme is being used.  If the server
provides the information, the browser will make use of it.  So, a
default setting should only help with broken sites.  Some other browsers
allow you to set an over-ride, to ignore a site's declared encoding
scheme.

UTF-8 is a good choice to use.  It's compatible with old sites which
sent US-ASCII without identifying it.  It's mostly compatible with
iso-8859-1 (the next better than 7-bit ASCII scheme), and Microsoft's
Win-1252 (which is almost the same).  It's closely compatible with
several other iso-8859-something schems for various non-English
countries, with most of the ROMAN alphabet being compatible, though
various symbols and language-specific characters will be wrong.

In short, I wouldn't expect to see a page of totally unreadable content
unless I'd picked something like an Asian or Arabic type of encoding
scheme.

There is also a "View menu" setting (in the main browser window) for the
encoding scheme, which lets you pick temporary overrides that will apply
to the current page (reload, or navigate away, and that override is
lost).  Inside it is an "auto-detect" sub-menu, related to trying to
identify non-English pages via some unexplained method that may get it
completely wrong, I leave that "off."  Since I can't read any of those
languages, it's pointless to me.  It can get it wrong, and misdiagnose
an English page as some other language, and mess up the page display.
Though it's usually just an ugly mess, rather than a completely
unreadable mess.

Firefox has some related Font settings around the same part of its
preferences as the default encoding scheme selection.  You can select
specific fonts for certain languages (though this will depend on the
website identifying the language used on the page, and bad sites
probably won't bother).  Again, the default choices ought to work fine,
and the choice is more about aesthetics, or working around specific
problems.

On my browsers, the defaults work fine on just about all sites.  The
fonts for Western language pages are the original basic proportional
fonts are serif, generic serif fonts use a font called serif, generic
sans-serif fonts use a font actually called sans-serif, and generic
monospace fonts use a font actually called monospace.  That takes care
of pages that either don't specify a font, or just specify a basic font
group (serif/sans-serif/monospace), without specifying a particular font
to be used.

Years ago I installed various international font packages so that
foreign webpages did load up with their proper characters, even though I
couldn't read those languages.  The sites look better that way, and I
can tell that the site is foreign rather than broken.

I think I've covered everything that I can think of, by now.  If you've
got the basic fonts installed (on my old system, liberation-sans-fonts,
liberation-serif-fonts, liberation-mono-fonts, liberation-fonts-common
packages, likewise with the similar dejavu- font packages), there ought
to be enough standard fonts available to view most pages.  And we're
back to wondering if you really have a clean Firefox configuration, or a
wider OS installation problem.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages