Re: firefox: characters showed as squares

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 17:55 +0200, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> firefox now shows characters as squares instead of normal letters so
> that it is unusable.

On all pages, or just some?

> I removed all history but it did not change anything.
> I created a new profile but it is still the same.
>
> I found one thing that works: untick "allow websites to use their own fonts".
>
> But why?

I would check if that computer has the usual fonts installed.

Usually, browsers will try to use the suggested font, and fall back on
alternatives.  And usually, you have enough alternatives that it can
always show a page, even if not as pretty as the designer hoped for.

If you hadn't said that you'd reset the profile, I would have first
suggested to check that you hadn't set a peculiar default character
encoding scheme.

The text you read is encoded (each character has a number, in ASCII the
letter A is character number 65).  The default (when a webserver has
provided no information about the encoding it used), for the web was
US-ASCII (these days, a default of UTF-8 is a reasonable choice).  If a
webserver was going to use some other scheme, it should say what it
used, and your browser should follow it.

Once computing went international, other countries would start using
their own usual character encoding scheme.  They also should have
declared what the use, but incompetently run services often don't, and
users would preset their browser to a non-US-ASCII scheme to compensate.

Usually, there were enough characters in each different scheme that were
similar that you could read a page, but with a few errors.  That meant
you could put up with it, or were presented with the clue to how to work
around the problem (change your settings).

Though there are some encoding schemes that could be used that would
render near complete garbage for any page.  But as I said before all
this detail, resetting your profile would have fixed a problem caused by
choosing such a scheme.  The likelihood is that you're missing fonts
that it expects to always be present, or somehow have screwed up the
fontmapping (how your computer chooses different fonts to use, that it
has available, instead of the ones its asked to use that it doesn't
have).

But since you've brought up various issues on the list, which I would
consider unrelated, it's entirely possibly that you have some serious
screwups with your entire OS installation.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

I don't think it's pure coincidence that "officialdom" sounds the same
as "official dumb."