Re: QEMU/KVM/Windows and Samba+NFS (SOLVED)

On Mon, 2017-04-03 at 11:29 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 04/03/2017 10:49 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I meant no specific configuration on W. The /etc/hosts file on D has
> > existed for a long time with no alteration.
>
> The /etc/hosts file on D won't help W resolve the name to an IP address.

Of course. You asked what I meant by "no configuration" so I was simply
explaining that.

> > C:\Users\poc>nslookup storage
> > Name: storage
> > Address: 192.168.1.65
> > C:\Users\poc>ping 192.168.1.65
> > Reply from 192.168.1.65: ...
> > C:\Users\poc>ping storage
> > Ping request could not find host storage. Please check the name and try
> > again.
>
> It's unclear from those snippets whether N actually replied to the ping
> requests.  Did it?

Yes, I didn't transcribe the full reply but it's a proper ping
response.

> I'm at a loss to explain how nslookup (which is DNS-only) is able to
> resolve the name "storage" but ping (which can use DNS and the hosts
> file) cannot.  That's just bizarre.

Isn't it? This makes no sense at all.

> > I added storage to that file and rebooted W. No difference.
>
> Does that mean that ping still can't resolve the name?  Or just browsing
> for the share?  If you still can't "ping storage" then the entry in the
> Windows hosts file may not be valid.  Send that file, maybe.

!! This just in !!

I just looked at it again and realised I'd edited the file incorrectly,
using the resolv.conf format (name address) rather than the hosts
format (address name). Having fixed that, I can now ping storage AND
connect to it from the file manager and present credentials as
expected.

I don't understand how a normal user is supposed to know how to set
this up, but (touch wood) things now appear to be working correctly.
And I still can't explain the peculiar ping behaviour before I spotted
the error, but better let sleeping dogs lie.

> (Just so we're clear, we're pursuing two different avenues to resolving
> this problem.  Adding the name to the Windows hosts file should allow
> name resolution, and access through the NAT setup. Setting up bridged
> networking should allow direct access and broadcast name resolution.)

I haven't gone further with the bridging because of the strange virsh
error I reported, but that can wait for now.

Many thanks for your patience in helping with this.

poc