Re: anaconda problem

On 03/19/2017 03:55 PM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 19 March 2017, François Patte sent:
>> My last attempt to install f25 was done creating /, /boot, /usr, /var,
>> /home, /opt and swap partitions on RAID1 devices and *yes* anaconda
>> accepted that *but* I can't log-in because all the passwords I gave
>> are not recognized and I don't know why at this time, so I can't tell
>> you what is the system configuration right now.
>
> As I recall, Fedora (or upstream) broke having /usr as a separate
> partition many years ago.  Something about the tools used to mount
> things are (now) inside it, so it needs to be already there at boot
> time, if I recall correctly.

Not exactly. There was a decision to unify / and /usr since the original
reason for having them separate really didn't reflect current hardware.

Back in the day, disks were small so you had to split things up to make
them fit. In those cases, / had _just_ enough stuff to get the system
booted up and able to mount other disks such as the one that contained
/usr.

Now that the smallest disks are much bigger than the old days, it
doesn't make a lot of sense to keep them split up so the decision was
made to unify / and /usr and lots of symlinking is done to make it all
work cleanly. It makes sense, but is unfamiliar to us old f*rts. :-)

> I don't know about your partitioning issues, but *this* will have its
> own problems.  It's possibly the cause of your inability to log in (such
> login tools probably inside an unmounted /usr partition).

First, using a DOS-style partition table, the maximum physical disk
size you can use is 2TB. You are allowed only four primary partitions.
At least one (possibly more) of those may be "extended" partitions, and
only extended partitions may be sub-partitioned. This is how you'd get
more than four partitions (three primary, one extended and any others
would actually be INSIDE the extended partition). If you see a partition
such as "/dev/sda7", that would be the third partition INSIDE the
extended partition.

LVM allows you to split the physical partitions into much smaller
pieces. One classic LVM scenario is to have two primary partitions--
one containing /boot (to boot the system, get the kernel running and
get LVM running), with the other partition set up as an LVM PV (physical
volume). That PV is then used inside an LVM VG (volume group). That VG
can be divvied up into multiple LVM LVs (logical volumes)--each
containing a separate filesystem. The arrangements are quite flexible
but you do have the overhead of managing the LVM configurations.

GPT partition tables don't have these disk size or partition count
restrictions (well, they do but they're much, MUCH bigger).