Re: Networkmanager Refuses to use my Dlink DWA-192 USB Wifi Device in F24 [Resolved]

On 3/7/17 3:49 PM, poma wrote:
On 06.03.2017 21:44, Stephen Morris wrote:

It has subsequently turned out that wlp4s6 was an old pci wifi card that
I still had in my machine that I thought was dead. I was not aware of
the naming conventions for the device identifiers, so I was not aware
that wlp4s6 was not my USB wifi adapter. So I have been trying all this
time to get the 5GHz channel working on wlp4s6 because of this
misunderstanding when in reality that device doesn't have a 5 GHz channel.
The whole reason for my USB wifi adapter not being used was because I
needed to download and compile a driver to be able to use the device as
there is no inbuilt support for it.
I would like to thank everybody who provided support for this issue and
apologize for wasting everyone's time (I had a DWA182 which had to have
a driver compiled to be usable so I should have expected the DWA192 to
be in the same situation).

As a side issue to this, actually getting the USB device working has
highlighted a bug in Fedora that doesn't exist in Ubuntu (Ubuntu has a
different bug that Fedora doesn't have).

Also Fedora and Ubuntu both use the same naming convention for the pci
wifi adapter but they use a different naming convention for the same USB
wifi adapter plugged into the same USB port. Why is this the case, why
isn't there a Linux wide naming standard?

$ man 8 udevadm
OPTIONS
    udevadm info [options] [devpath|file]
        Queries the udev database for device information stored in the udev database. It can also query the properties of a device from its
        sysfs representation to help creating udev rules that match this device.

Thus, one can do the following,
e.g. for D-Link DWA-192 - if the ifname is "wlp3s0u2":

# udevadm info -a -p /sys/class/net/wlp3s0u2

In accordance with the properties listed, udev rule can be made,
a rule to rename the ifname:

e.g.
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-wifi-names.rules:
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2001", ATTRS{idProduct}=="331a", NAME="dwa192"
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2001", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3315", NAME="dwa182"

Re-plug USB device, observe dmesg output.

Sorry, what I was getting at with my question was:
Under Fedora I issue iwconfig and it tells me the name of my USB wifi adapter is wlp3s0u2, Under Ubuntu I issue iwconfig and it tells me the name of my USB wifi adapter is wlx6c722000acc4.

Why is there not a core Linux standard that specifies what the name of the device must be so that it is the same across all Linux Distributions (as in my view it should be). Along those lines, why even change the name from wlan0, sure that doesn't indicate what type of device it is, but who cares, the driver is written for the chipset in the device and will work irrespective of whether the device with that chipset is USB or PCI.

regards,
Steve