Re: Networkmanagre Refuses to use my Dlink DWA-192 USB Wifi Device in F24

On 19/1/17 10:22 am, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 01/18/2017 01:21 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 19/1/17 3:43 am, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 01/18/2017 01:54 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 18/1/17 7:44 am, Terry Polzin wrote:
In my experience, you won't get any further than lsusb "seeing" the
device if you haven't the firmware.  It may be blacklisted.
How do I determine if it or wifi has been blacklisted? On reflecting on
this issue there is a possibility that I may have manually disabled the
device or wifi, but I have forgotten how.
It'd be done by a file in your /etc/modprobe.d directory. Just
"grep -ri blacklist /etc/modprobe.d/*" to see if it's in there
somewhere.
I've checked /etc/modprobe.d and I don't have a blacklist.conf file, and
the 2 .conf files that are there don't have any blacklist statements in
them.
  From your previous message, the fact that ethtool can't find the device
is interesting and it sure looks like it didn't load the firmware. You
might try looking at the journals to see what sort of messages have
"firmware" or "wireless" in them. That might give you a clue.
I've had a look at /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log and the messages below
that appear near the bottom are indicating to me that something is
passing the wrong wpa key at connection time, but I'm not sure where as
I have checked /etc/sysconfg/network-scripts/keys-Linksys07468 and that
file has the correct wpa key for my router.

wlp4s6: SME: Trying to authenticate with c0:56:27:b8:94:6e
(SSID='Linksys07468' freq=2417 MHz)
wlp4s6: Trying to associate with c0:56:27:b8:94:6e (SSID='Linksys07468'
freq=2417 MHz)
wlp4s6: Associated with c0:56:27:b8:94:6e
wlp4s6: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=c0:56:27:b8:94:6e reason=4
locally_generated=1
wlp4s6: WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed - pre-shared key may be incorrect
wlp4s6: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=0 ssid="Linksys07468"
auth_failures=1 duration=10 reason=WRONG_KEY
wlp4s6: CTRL-EVENT-REGDOM-CHANGE init=CORE type=WORLD
wlp4s6: CTRL-EVENT-REGDOM-CHANGE init=USER type=COUNTRY alpha2=AU
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlp4s6 disabled_11b_rates=0
wlp4s6: CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING
Can you check the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Linksys07468 file
and verify that the "KEY_MGMT" value matches what your router wants
(probably "WPA-PSK")? You may also need to add "WPA_ALLOW_WPA=yes"
and "WPA_ALLOW_WPA2=yes" to that file if they're not already there.
I've checked the KEY_MGMT value and it matches the entry in the associated keys file. I've also added the two WPA_ALLOW keys but they have made no difference to NM acknowledging that the device can be connected to.

You can also use NM's editor to modify that profile to make sure you
have your password set correctly and that you have "WPA & WPA2
Personal" set in the "Wi-Fi Security" tab. And in the "Wi-Fi" tab, make
sure you have the mode set to either "Client" or "Managed" (not sure
which it'll show up as...on my machines it's "Client"). Do NOT use
"Ad-hoc" or "Hotspot".
I've cut and pasted the password from the admin page of the router into the password entry in the definition so it should be okay, assuming kwallet hasn't scrambled it.
I also have 'WPA & WPA2 Personal' set in the 'Wi-Fi Security' tab.
I can't set the Mode to 'Client' or 'Manager' in the 'Wi-Fi' tab as neither of those options are offered. The ones I get are 'Infrastructure', 'Ad-hoc' and 'Access Point' and the only one I could get to work was 'Infrastructure'.
The last time I successfully used the device was 08/10/2016.

regards,
Steve

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Stephen Morris