Re: Mount of NAS Ethernet Connect to Router Fails at Boot Time for CIFS Interface in F24

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Stephen Morris
<samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     My Nas device now fails to mount at boot time via the CIFS definition in
> fstab but the corresponding NFS definition mounts quite happily. Also after
> the system comes up and I log into KDE I can manually mount the CIFS device.
> As far as I am aware the only difference between when it was mounting at
> boot time and now is several system updates, also the system update I did
> yesterday morning (which updated several hundred packages, which included a
> new kernel) has not rectified the issue.

I've been curious about this, and I was able to replicate the problem
shortly after you sent your email.  I wasn't able to get any useful
information beyond that, so I let it sit for a few days.  Last night I
thought I should try logging the state of the network interfaces and
routes when systemd reached the "network-online" state, so I wrote a
shell script and systemd unit to do that, and tested again.  I'm no
longer able to reproduce the problem.  :(

It's possible that some update in the last few days has fixed the
issue, but I don't see anything that looks relevant.  If it comes
back, you should try logging the network state to try to get some idea
of when NetworkManager and systemd consider the network to be online.

My fstab entry was something like:
//10.1.1.1/windows     /mnt                    cifs
username=user1,password=******,rw 0 0

Note that "auto" is a default option and does not need to be
specified, and _netdev is only needed for filesystems that refer to a
block device which is backed by a network-available source (such as an
iSCSI device).  See the man page for systemd.mount for details.

The unit and script are:

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/iproute.service
[Unit]
Description=Log IP route after network is online
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot