Re: F24: waking up from hibernate no longer wakes nm-applet (however existing connection works fine)

On 08/30/2016 03:44 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:54:38 -0700 Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> I believe this is caused by the startup sequence and a "bug" in
>> nm-applet. On boot, NetworkManager (NM) is started by systemd. When you
>> log in, your desktop session starts nm-applet (it is optional after
>> all). nm-applet queries NM when nm-applet starts, gets the status and
>> tracks it as long as your session is running.
>>
>> On wake up from hibernate, nm-applet picks up where it left off, but it
>> doesn't "check in" with NM so it doesn't know what the status is. I'm
>> not sure how they coordinate (dbus, etc.), but that seems to be the
>> issue. Perhaps NM gets a different dbus identity on wakeup and
>> nm-applet doesn't find out about it. I simply don't know. I do recall
>> that on a previous version I saw errors in the system log that
>> nm-applet couldn't "find" NM for some odd reason. I don't have the
>> records any longer so I can't tell you exactly what it said, but that
>> was the gist of it.
>>
>> IMHO, nm-applet should periodically query NM and, if it doesn't get a
>> response, restart itself. If it still doesn't get a response, then it
>> should pop up an error message about it (e.g. that NM isn't running or
>> some such thing).
>
> Your explanation may be right, but I wonder why this problem has only happened to me with F24 systems. This problem did not happen with F23 installations. So, unless this bug recently came in, then I don't know why it worked just fine with the old setup.

I had issues with F23 doing this on occasion. I believe it was a point
where NM had been updated but nm-applet hadn't caught up yet. I don't
recall exactly. Had similar issues with bluetooth (those were definitely
dbus-related).

> Btw, assuming that this is a bug, where should I file it? Before that, I should perhaps make sure and look at the logs that you talked about here? Which logs should I check?

I'd assume the bug should be filed against both NM and nm-applet since
it's some sort of mis-interaction between them and it's not clear whose
mechanism should be followed. As far as logs, I'd check both dmesg and
the system log for things containing "network".