Re: evercookies.

(I'm replying to the entire discussion as of Wednesday evening US Mountain time.)

I'm now wondering if evercookies can really be fully blocked.  I do want to block what I reasonably can.  But as was pointed out, a lot of wanted web functionality needs cookies.  So now I'm mainly focused on getting them deleted when I close a tab or the browser.

* My Firefox is set to never remember history.  It clears all "regular" cookies, cache, and browsing history when I exit Firefox, right?  What about evercookies?

* Fingerprinting was mentioned.  Wikipedia has two relevant fingerprinting articles: device (browser) fingerprinting and graphic fingerprinting.  The device fingerprinting article makes this curious statement:
     "Recently such fingerprints have proven useful in the detection and prevention
      of online identity theft and credit card fraud.  In fact, device fingerprints can be used
      to predict the likelihood users will commit fraud based on their signal profile,
      before they have even committed fraud."
So now we're stuck in a love-hate relationship with fingerprinting.  Having experienced credit card fraud at least 3 times, I want what those two Wikipedia sentences mention.  But I hate commercial sites tracking, profiling, and targeting me.  I also understand that the advertising is needed to have "free" content on the web.  I accept "generic" (non-personalized) advertising that is not intrusive and not deceptive.  The rest actually affects me opposite of what the advertiser intents: it pushes me away!  So what / how much fingerprinting to allow vs. try to block?

* Does NoScript block evercookies or the fingerprinting parts of allowed scripts?

* I recently looked at Adblock Plus, and saw the same conflict-of-interest noted by others in this discussion.  I will look at the alternatives mentioned in this discussion.  I also saw the separate "Browser Privacy" topic started by Drew.  I've since turned off html5 storage, and will study the other recommendations there.

* It seems CCleaner is for windows but not Linux.  I am indeed looking for windows-7 solutions, but I'm also looking for Fedora solutions.  How can I clean out evercookies on my Fedora workstation?

* Stan - In your last message on this topic, you implied you are abandoning Adblock Plus and said you are using "tracking blockers".  Which?

Thank-you, everyone.
Bill.