Re: evercookies.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:32:22 -0600
Drew Samson <netproz@xxxxx> wrote:

> Are you using gmail?
> Are you using google dns?  (8.8.8.8)
> Are you using google apps? chrome? earth? streetview? drive? sky?
> Do you use their repository?
> dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub?

None of those.  Deliberately.

As Mike pointed out, it is unlikely that DNS sets a cookie, but it
allows them to track the IP across the web sites I visit.  So if they
do get a cookie on your machine, they have your whole itinerary.

The other one is google.fonts.api, and the other apis they provide
'free' to web developers, so they can incorporate them into their
sites.  Every site that gets called, is another tracking point for them.

> Do you sync an android?

No.

> It's easy to give someone/something permission w/o realizing it.

Except I was offline.  No web connection.  And I deleted the cookie,
and it regenerated itself under those conditions.  From where?  Not the
web, so somewhere on the client side, likely from info they stored
(hid?) in the browser.  Hey, the list of places an evercookie hides
data is pretty extensive.

Specifically, when creating a new cookie, it uses the
    following storage mechanisms when available:
     - Standard HTTP Cookies
     - HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) Pinning
     - Local Shared Objects (Flash Cookies)
     - Silverlight Isolated Storage
     - Storing cookies in RGB values of auto-generated, force-cached
        PNGs using HTML5 Canvas tag to read pixels (cookies) back out
     - Storing cookies in Web History
     - Storing cookies in HTTP ETags
     - Storing cookies in Web cache
     - window.name caching
     - Internet Explorer userData storage
     - HTML5 Session Storage
     - HTML5 Local Storage
     - HTML5 Global Storage
     - HTML5 Database Storage via SQLite
     - HTML5 IndexedDB
     - Java JNLP PersistenceService
     - Java CVE-2013-0422 exploit (applet sandbox escaping)

> Do you use the Alphabet?   :-)
> This last one's a joke but it does reveal the attitude of their
> exec's and how ingrained they want to be in our lives.

That's their business.  Your privacy.

> This is why I try to having nothing to do with google for anything
> for reasons Tim has so eloquently described.

Exactly.

I know you said you no longer use AdBlock Plus, but they have
categorically stated that they protect against evercookies.

"If the last paragraph isn’t explicit enough for you, here you go:
Adblock Plus privacy protection (a.k.a. EasyPrivacy filter list)
doesn’t care whether it is cookies, canvas fingerprinting or
evercookie, you will be protected regardless."

What is your issue of concern with adblock plus?