Re: F24 gedit and large text files, background becomes black

On 07/26/2016 12:29 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Earl A Ramirez <earlaramirez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>

>>> I use vi which I guess on Fedora is vim, but this is in GNOME
>>> Terminal. All I really want is something I can scroll with a trackpad
>>> or pageup/pagedown neither of which works well in vi. I could just cat
>>> the text file and then do scrolling with Terminal, but...
>>>
>> Have you tried vim-X11, it's a GUI vim.
>
> Starts out really good, loads the text file fast and I can scroll
> pretty much right away. But about 30 seconds later, 100% CPU madness.
> It quickly recovers. Then I scroll some more and 100% CPU and
> scrolling stalls out. Looks like this happens only when scrolling up
> (backwards) rather than down. Oh yay, scrolling up is basically not
> usable with a document of this size apparently.
>
> So far less in GNOME Terminal is being the most cooperative but I'm
> really not at all familiar with it so navigation is a bit rudimentary
> at the moment.
>
> Funny enough, cat <doc> in GNOME Shell gets me pretty much what I see
> in all of these other programs, a long 100% CPU burn cycle until it's
> done, I guess rendering, the file in Terminal. But scrolling is fast
> (I set the buffer to unlimited) and it uses next to no memory which is
> interesting now that I'm doing this on a 500MiB debug file...

I suspect the gedit stuff is reformatting and such based on font
displays, line wrapping, etc. You're probably going to hit that with
any large file or files with extra long lines. I also suspect the
vim-X11 scrollback is due to having de-buffer data and re-seek back
into the file (again, seeking for lines to "break" on), along with all
the glorious (tongue in cheek) overhead Gnome brings to the party.

I gave up on Gnome. The developers tend to ignore what users request,
make some really stupid (IMHO) decisions and it's an unconscionable
resource hog. While it's sort of pretty, it sure as hell ain't worth
it. I use Xfce or LXDE, mostly Xfce.