Re: F24 gedit and large text files, background becomes black

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 09:30:46 -0600
Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I use vi which I guess on Fedora is vim, but this is in GNOME
> Terminal. All I really want is something I can scroll with a trackpad
> or pageup/pagedown neither of which works well in vi. I could just cat
> the text file and then do scrolling with Terminal, but...

less is my solution to that.  I'm usually looking for a pattern in the
output, and less allows that with the slash (/) command.  Even
regexes.  And the space bar scrolls, as well as pgup / pgdn, and the
scroll wheel works.  Arrow keys move right and left if wrapping is
turned off. Marks work like in vi(m), so it is easy to flip between
positions to compare, once positions are marked.  The best part is
that it can be used as destination from a pipe and updated to see
latest information while a process is running.

I've never used it without a keyboard, though, so it might be clumsy
there.  I just tried less with gnome terminal on a 65 MB file, and it
worked great.  When I tried it on the 118 MB file it did as well as
konsole or a virtual console.  That file has some really long lines (>
100k characters), so it takes some time to calculate output at the end
when wrapping.  When I tried it on a 136 MB file, all less than 80
columns, less in GNOME Terminal was instantaneous in flipping back and
forth between start and end.  So GNOME Terminal isn't the problem.
Probably the design of the program for the rare case of extremely long
lines requiring wrapping is causing the delay.