Re: a compatibility question: AMD Radeon HD8200 R3 series

On 19/06/16 23:44, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 06/19/2016 05:12 PM, Robin Laing wrote:
Last year I purchased a motherboard with onboard AMD graphics.  A real
nightmare.

Check the AMD site for support for the video card.

As it turned out, AMD dropped support for the chipset and their web site
states to get a new graphics card.

You bought a new motherboard and AMD had already dropped support for it?
 I have years old boards and video cards and they all work perfectly. I
haven't seen any chipsets that they've dropped support for.  They have
dropped support in their proprietary driver, but the open source one
fully supports them.

It was for a cheap desktop and I wanted on board video to save money. It was not a newer version of chip though. Never had an AMD video card for years since they were ATI. I thought I would trust open source driver when I purchased board. Didn't look at closed source driver until I had problems. I wanted to try the closed source driver to see if it would fix the problem.

I would get full lockups of the X-graphics using the open source driver.
 Keyboard was useless.  X-window was a frozen window of what was on the
screen.  I could move the mouse pointer around the screen but no action.
 This occurred anytime I was going through a directory of images or
videos.  Very frustrating.

If the mouse pointer is still moving around the screen, then the X
server is still functioning at least to some extent.  Was there anything
in the log?  Did you file a bug report?

Nothing in the log files.

I agree, there was some life but it was useless to try anything. Even killing it from a ssh session didn't reset anything. Shutdown and reboot was the only thing that would get the card working again. Killing X server and restarting wouldn't get it working.

If I found anything I would have submitted a bug report.

Purchased an nvida GeForce GTX 960 card and put it in.  No issues since.

I have had many issues with NVidia cards.  I won't run the proprietary
driver for various reasons and as much as I very much appreciate the
work of the nouveau developers, there is still a ways to go.  There has
only been one laptop that I had to install the NVidia driver on because
it was completely unusable otherwise.  But other desktops and laptops
have issues that need to be worked around.

If the Nouveau driver used the full feature of the card, I would be happy with it. Due to requirements, I need the speed of the closed source driver. I am also testing some stuff that uses the CUDA processors. This is on a different machine. Purchased a high end Nvidia card for some future work on a new machine with the intent of using the processors.

This machine that I have issues with was supposed to be a simple work machine and view videos and images to relax. I would have a lockup on an almost daily basis using the on board video. I have not had a lockup since I changed cards.

I would have to do a reboot to know the onboard video.

As someone else mentioned, lspci would give you the information you're
looking for unless the BIOS completely disables it which might be the case.

See other post.

Unless you want to use as a server, I would avoid it.

On your experience of one instance, you're telling him that all AMD
cards are bad.  My experience is that on a very wide variety of desktops
and laptops with AMD graphics, the only one that gave me trouble was a
brand new chipset and that had support within a couple of months.

I am also commenting from discussions with our IT staff that has dealt with these problems. He uses AMD cards, but avoids on-board video due to problems like mine. Another person that runs a small resort network makes the same comment about on-board video issues.

In our discussions, it may be related to shared ram issues.

I went to Nvidia when I tried an ATI card many years ago and fought to get it working for over a month. Nvidia card up and running with full 3D in less than 30 minutes from the time I paid for it.

I like that even my old card in an old computer still gets updates from Nvidia as a legacy driver.

From the manual, this is the video.

On board video ATI Radeon HD 3000GPU.  1GB of shared memory.