Re: a compatibility question: AMD Radeon HD8200 R3 series

On 06/19/2016 05:12 PM, Robin Laing wrote:
Last year I purchased a motherboard with onboard AMD graphics.  A real
nightmare.

Check the AMD site for support for the video card.

As it turned out, AMD dropped support for the chipset and their web site
states to get a new graphics card.

You bought a new motherboard and AMD had already dropped support for it? I have years old boards and video cards and they all work perfectly. I haven't seen any chipsets that they've dropped support for. They have dropped support in their proprietary driver, but the open source one fully supports them.

I would get full lockups of the X-graphics using the open source driver.
 Keyboard was useless.  X-window was a frozen window of what was on the
screen.  I could move the mouse pointer around the screen but no action.
 This occurred anytime I was going through a directory of images or
videos.  Very frustrating.

If the mouse pointer is still moving around the screen, then the X server is still functioning at least to some extent. Was there anything in the log? Did you file a bug report?

Purchased an nvida GeForce GTX 960 card and put it in.  No issues since.

I have had many issues with NVidia cards. I won't run the proprietary driver for various reasons and as much as I very much appreciate the work of the nouveau developers, there is still a ways to go. There has only been one laptop that I had to install the NVidia driver on because it was completely unusable otherwise. But other desktops and laptops have issues that need to be worked around.

I would have to do a reboot to know the onboard video.

As someone else mentioned, lspci would give you the information you're looking for unless the BIOS completely disables it which might be the case.

Unless you want to use as a server, I would avoid it.

On your experience of one instance, you're telling him that all AMD cards are bad. My experience is that on a very wide variety of desktops and laptops with AMD graphics, the only one that gave me trouble was a brand new chipset and that had support within a couple of months.