Re: issues after updating f23 (2nd part)

On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 09:45 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Debugging wifi is always problematic since it's difficult to isolate
> if the issue is with the NIC on the laptop or the access point at the
> other end. You could try taking your machine to somewhere like an
> internet cafe or somewhere else you have wifi access to see if the
> problem persists there (make sure you have your firewall up and you
> don't have any personal info exposed). If it persists, then yeah, your
> wifi may be going bad. If it doesn't, that points at issues with your
> access point. To be honest, I've had access points go bad far more
> often than the NIC in the laptop.

First, try the obvious.  Change the channel that you use.  There may be
someone near you on the same channel, causing interference.  Although
there may be 11 channels for use where you are, there's overlap, and it
boils down to using one of the end ones, or one in the middle (yeah,
three usable channels out of eleven).

Over the years, I've had to replace modems, switches, and ethernet
cards, because they've *all* failed at times.  It seems worse with
anything with a long cable attached.  If there's thunderstorms even
remotely nearby, they can induce destructive currents into the cabling.
If you cable between buildings, there can be a significant difference in
earthing between them, and you can put a lot of current through
something that joins them together (you need ethernet equipment that's
galvanically isolated, and many cheapies don't bother with using
transformers on the ethernet lines).  Anything connected to the phone
system has /that/ length of cable between them and the exchange to
expose them to destructive interference.  While some people advocate
using surge arrestors, I'll point out that they don't prevent your
equipment from being destroyed, they just try to limit the damage so
that (hopefully) your house doesn't catch fire, too.  And, of course,
there's the case of random electrical component failure.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.