Re: data restore after an upgrade?

On 05/04/2016 04:01 PM, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
The system has 4 SATA 1.0 interfaces, two are are in use for the two
removable disks in the front of the case, the other two are inside the
case and although not impossible to access they are a little difficult
to access.

The original system has 2 disks with multiple partitions, each partition
is in a RAID-1 configuration, the new system has the same basic
configuration but was built on different hardware (at a physically
different location).  Considering that system partitions are relatively
static I've made a copy of those in the event I forgot something that I
need, what I'm trying to figure out is how to deal with the user
partition (/home) since this partition is very dynamic.

You mention the original system and the new system here, but you say you aren't changing the hardware. I'll assume that you're referring to the operating system and that you mean you partitioned the new hard drives and installed Fedora 23 on them using a separate computer.

My thoughts are to first boot the new disks in the old system making
sure everything is stable then either

2) connect one of the old disks to the now new system via a USB to SATA
adapter (note the machine only has usb 1.1) mount the disk and copy the
data over.

That wouldn't be so bad given the amount of data. If you can determine which USB ports are on different controllers, you could hook up both drives as RAID and copy faster.

Or you could put a USB 2.0 card in the computer.

4) ????

Couldn't you put the drive in one of the removable slots in the front?