Re: hfsplus problems

On 03/08/2016 05:53 AM, Tim wrote:
Allegedly, on or about 08 March 2016, Cameron Simpson sent:
That depends on your point of view. Technically, this whole thing:

   Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>

is my email address. A mail system is only meant to pay attention to
certain parts of it for delivery purposes, but it is _all_ "my
address".

Well, from what I've read, mostly long ago.  You get

display name (comment) <address>

Whack a comma on the end, and you can build up a list of other
addresses, to send emails to multiple recipients.  And because of that
(using a comma as a delimiter), if you want a comma in your display
name, you need to quote it.  e.g. "Doe, John" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>

But the /address/ is the only part used for delivery purposes.  As far
as the SMTP system is concerned, that's the address.

But I take your point.  If I write an address on a snail mail envelope,
we do consider the whole thing the address to them.  Though, generally
speaking, the post office doesn't care about the name.  They're like
SMTP, only caring about the location details.  You're going to need to
know your local postman on a more personal level before they hesitate in
giving you an envelope with someone else's name on it.

If you suspect someone you write to is responsible for spam coming in
your direction, you can slightly tailor your personal details outside
of the address, and see if they get passed along, to confirm your
suspicions.

Ah. Disinformation! Neat. Has this ever paid off for you?

Unfortunately, not.  When it's come to submitting my address to
something, on-line or otherwise, I always forget to do so.  But I have
caught one or two out by using completely different email addresses.
That's one benefit of owning your own domain name, you can create new
addresses as you see fit.  Well, you can do that with some other
services, too, but you have to jump through more hoops.  One day we're
going to be screwed by a company that insists on phone verification, and
only one email address per phone number.

If I'd remembered to modify an existing address, I could have saved
myself that extra hassle.  Though I really don't want to do it by
slightly misspelling my name, as some people do with this trick.  Seeing
my name wrong is just too grating.

Some of the big services did allow you to make sub-addresses to your
existing account, either by adding a plus symbol and a word before the @
sign, or sometimes a dot, without having to configure anything extra
with them (simply use the additional address, and it accepts it).

e.g.  <someone+extrabit@xxxxxxxxxxx> or <someone.extrabit@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Uhm, if this is going to continue, please start a new thread. This last
spate of messages has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of the
thread. I know it's hard not to go off on tangents, but this is pretty
far out.