Re: Protecting my network from rogue IoT devices.

Allegedly, on or about 29 February 2016, Javier Perez sent:
> I read with interest this forum piece about IoT devices phoning home.
>
> https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/IoT+The+Rise+of+the+Machines+GuestDiary/19173/
>
> What caught my attention is the following phrase: " My home network
> is hardened and any new (unknown) device connected to it receives an
> IP address from a specific range which has no connectivity with other
> hosts or the Internet but its packets are logged"
>

> I imagine it is done through the Gateway Router at home.

To do it simply, you do need to do it in the router (whether that's a
dedicated device, or a computer doing that role).  My gateway/modem has
a feature like that, there are two wireless LANs on different subnets
that cannot talk to each other.  It *was* also possible to do that with
the wired LAN, but firmware upgrades took that feature away.

Since passphrases are required to use the WLAN (at least mine is set up
properly, like that), devices can only connect to the networks you want
them to (you choose which network, and supply the credentials).  So,
that's hardly in the category of defence against "rogue" things.  Just
normal network security.  I imagine that most networked non-computer
things in the home are going to be wireless, since few non-tech homes
will have ethernet cabling all over the place.

Cabled networks are another matter, it's rare to require authorisation
to use a cabled ethernet network, it's mostly plug in and automatic
setup.  Though, if you can configure your DHCP server, you can set it up
to dole out special addresses to unknown devices.  Of course, that
require you to do the opposite; hand out another set of addresses to
everything that you do allow; rather than allow a fully automatic
uncustomised DHCP service.

Again, this doesn't do anything against malicious use of the network,
where such things can configure themselves to get through (or a person
configuring past your roadblocks).  But you can use it take steps
against things in your own house that you've connected, but want to
limit their network functionality.

If you're going to take the subnetting approach, I tend to favour the
idea of one lan on 192.168.x.y and the other on 10.x.y.z, as *some*
routers are too helpful (they may not treat 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x
as being different networks, and allow them to talk to each other).
Some routers are the opposite of security, and just try to make networks
work.  And some are the opposite of useful, they may not allow you to
have more than one subnet, though in your case that might be an
advantage (your unwanted appliances would be on a non-working network).

A better approach is to use completely isolated LANs.  If you use a
computer as your gateway/firewall, then put a second ethernet card in
it, and run the second network through the second card.

But since I mentioned simple approaches, you can do it with hardware.
Buy two routers, put your LAN on one, put the home appliances on the
other.

                             /-- fridge
          appliance router --+-- toaster
         /                   \-- television
ISP modem
         \                   /-- computer 1
          computing router --+-- computer 2
                             +-- computer 3
                             \-- printer

I dread the technical support issues of the internet fridge, though.
Quite apart from the questions of the fridge not recognising that your
out of eggs even though it realises the milk needs replacing, there'd be
the configuring of the auto-ordering service with your local shops.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Long ago I gave up on using Windows (TM) [Tantrum Machine], and I've
never regretted it.