Re: Inconsistencies with tracer

On 02/22/16 19:59, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> After updating with dnf I usually run "sudo tracer" to see what needs
> to be restarted. I've noticed that the results are often inconsistent,
> e.g. after a recent update I get:
>
>         You should restart:
>           * Some applications using:
>               kdeinit4
>
>           * These applications manually:
>               abrt-applet
>               chrome
>               dolphin
>               evolution
>               evolution-addressbook-factory
>               evolution-addressbook-factory-subprocess
>               evolution-alarm-notify
>               evolution-calendar-factory
>               evolution-calendar-factory-subprocess
>               evolution-source-registry
>               file.so
>               firefox
>               firewall-applet
>               goa-daemon
>               goa-identity-service
>               gvfs-goa-volume-monitor
>               gvfsd-smb-browse
>               insync
>               kaccess
>               kded5
>               kdeinit5
>               kglobalaccel5
>               kmix
>               konsole
>               krunner
>               kscreen_backend_launcher
>               ksmserver
>               kuiserver5
>               kwalletd5
>               mission-control-5
>               plasmashell
>               polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
>               qbittorrent
>               xembedsniproxy
>               yakuake
>
>         Additionally to those process above, there are:
>           - 6 processes requiring restart of your session (i.e. Logging out & Logging in again)
>
> Note that last line. I exited the session and immediately logged into a
> (non-GUI) console as root, then ran tracer again, getting this:
>
>         You should restart:
>           * Some applications using:
>               service firewalld restart
>               service gssproxy restart
>               service libvirtd restart
>               service nmbd restart
>               service smb restart
>               service sshd restart
>               service tuned restart
>
>           * These applications manually:
>               cagibid
>               cupsd
>               fail2ban-server
>               rsyslogd
>
>         Additionally to those process above, there are:
>           - 1 processes requiring reboot
>
> Again. note the last line. So there are two issues here:
>
> 1) The first run of tracer didn't spot a bunch of services and other
> demons that needed to be restarted.
>
> 2) It also didn't spot that I needed to reboot, meaning that just
> logging out and in again would not have left me with a consistent
> system.
>
> Not sure if this can be classed as a bug or a feature.

I don't know either.  But I have a suggestion.

The next time you do an update instead of using, or in addition to, "sudo tracer" use "su
-" to get an actual root login shell and run tracer and see if there is a difference there
as well.

I suggest that since when you run "sudo" there are some SUDO_ environment variables and
potentially tracer takes this into account when it does what it does.

Just a thought....

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.