Re: mpg123 not included, why?

On 12 January 2016 at 13:39, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Which would get funny, if you wanted to seek back and forth in a large
>> chunk of data fed to a program via stdin, such as when searching for ID3
>> tags in an MP3 file.
>

> Which gets back to my point, that doesn't prevent big media players from
> implementing their own codecs, internally.
>
> Does Gnome/Nautilus mean that there is no place for the command line "tar"
> command? or 'unzip' ?

Of course not. However "the Unix way", while very powerful in certain
contexts, doesn't work at all well for interactive use, or tasks that
require communication between multiple data sources. There are command
line encoders / decoders for many codecs. For some that does mean you
have to wrangle with something like mencoder and worry about things
like transport mechanisms. Which is the first thing you notice when
dealing with anything more complex than mp3, mp3 itself mixes the
transport and encoding, which makes it fairly simple to deal with.
Actually, the various ID3 tags that Michael refers to are separate
binary blocks bunged on at the end. Reading as a stream you can't
actually access those, for example to display while playing, until
*after* you've had all the audio data.

To be stricly consistent with "the Unix way" (which has never really
been the only way of doing things under Unix, but a convenient way of
handling data that can be processed in a stream), you would have to
stream the output of the decoder to the sound device too, probably via
sox to convert the sample format (and possibly resample the
frequency). Want to play back something that has a different sampling
rate to your soundcard's default? You have to force resampling,
because otherwise you'd have to communicate and negotiate sample rates
out-of-channel. Similarly searching within a stream isn't allowed,
because anything except a fixed bitrate input (which is very few audio
codecs and almost no compressed video ones) requires the demuxer to be
able to search through the input file (more trivially, going backwards
is obviously not possible).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk