Re: mpg123 not included, why?

On 11 January 2016 at 01:35, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 10 January 2016, Philip Brown sent:
>> however, in a couple of very simple steps, this gives me a very usable
>> multimedia system on my default fedora workstation without having to
>> install any additional repos. which for me is awesome.
>>
>> and I can confirm all I had to do was download and extract .so files
>> from the following 2 rpms:
>> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/22/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/gstreamer1-libav.html
>> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/22/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/gstreamer-plugins-ugly.html
>>
>> really that simple, no dealing with runtime linker search paths,
>> additional rpm dependencies  or anything like that.
>>
>> ok I admit, in the long run, maybe it is planless, however this is not
>> intended as a complete solution intended to work forever, it will get
>> you up and running now and will probably keep working in the future
>> but as listed above it is not a repo sysyem with dnf/yum updates and
>> there will come a day when dependencies mismatch but... c'est la vie.
>
> That's all very well, if you never intend to do a yum update again, in
> the future.  But if you do, then you've got to deal with all the
> breakage that ensues.  Which is going to be more work than simply
> installing the repo, and installing the files you need, letting the
> system do the work for you.

Yes, this is why I don't see any benefit to this approach at all. You
have to manually download the right rpms, extract libraries, move them
into place and then they'll stop working if you ever update the
installed programs. On top of which codecs are a great target for
vulnerabilities, so worth keeping them up to date. To me this seems
much more work than installing the rpmfusion repo, which involves
clicking two links at <http://rpmfusion.org/>, and you get a less
reliable setup out of it. The rpmfusion guys do a great job and it
integrates with the fedora repos, many of the people there are also
fedora project packagers. Particularly over things like gstreamer
where the plugins provided will work with fedora gstreamer directly.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk