Re: F23 installer does not allow to reuse / partition

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 8:57 PM, Javier Perez <pepebuho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Really?? All I had to do is select the partition and mark it for
> reformatting, and selected the desktop package and it works.
>
> That's the point. If I want to reuse the partition I HAVE to reformat it.

Yes, that's intended. There's good reason to require this for rootfs.
The only fs that doesn't require reformat is Btrfs, but for  /  a new
fs_tree i.e. a new Btrfs subvolume must be created. It's very
convenient, but I think it's also generous that it's permitted.

> did not want to reformat it because reformating fails.

That's not a compelling reason to want a GUI installer that doesn't
reformat root.

> I am using a AsRock
> Beebox and using a Kingston DTDUO 16GB.
> This memory gets kind of hot. And sometimes it kind of disappears (like
> attaching/detaching) but without me physically doing. it.
>
> I am beginning to suspect hardware issue either at the Beebox or the DTDUO
> level.

Best to get that sorted out before formatting, let alone going to the
trouble of installing an OS that you ostensibly want to be reliable,
let alone committing any amount of time to it other than as a throw
away.

On the Kingston, at a minimum, I suggest using
gnome-multi-writer-probe on it. That's part of gnome-multi-writer
package. It test a test for fake flash.

A more involved test is f3 but that requires a successful format and
mount first.

> I am reversing sides now, using a Sandisk 8GB to be hold the system and the
> Kingston to hold the install files. I'll mention what happens. Incidentally,
> the Sandisk does not seem to be poping in and out. Could the OTG feature of
> the DTDUO have something to do with this pop in/out behaviour?

Entirely possible something is confused about whether to treat it as
mass storage block device or use MTP. That'd be a problem.

--
Chris Murphy