Re: The continuous crippling of Fedora LiveCDs by removing usefull stuff for no apparent reason

Allegedly, on or about 18 December 2015, Fernando Cassia sent:
> Thanks for the reply. I choose to stop using so-called "persistent
> storage" because it eventually goes FUBAR. Something about the loop
> device if I remember correctly. The issue being that all is well until
> you fill up all available storage space. Then the "persistent storage"
> partition becomes "damaged" and unmountable. I lost quite a few
> folders full of work that way, that's when I decided that was useless.

That sounds like a problem I had on my old Amiga, more than a decade
ago, where due to some programmer's maths errors, it'd try to fill a
disc to 101% capacity.

Though, in this case, I suspect it's more to do with flash drives losing
capacity, over time, as it wears out, and no file system being developed
in mind of this (so that a reasonable large amount of space is always
required to be kept free).

Personally, if I was to run a live OS from a USB stick.  I'd be inclined
to use two.  One for the OS, another for my data.

I had tried running from a USB connected hard drive, but I would find
that things would get stuffed up after a while.  I've come to the
conclusion that USB hardware is far from reliable.  Apart from hard
drives in cases getting hot, and bumped about, Linux seems rather good
at creating data corruption when there are several drives in use
(internal and/or external).  I've experienced this over several
different systems (motherboards, and drives, and types of drives).

You'd be doing things, then become aware that a drive wasn't available
any more.  Copying a bunch of files would stall, or would become a
randomised mess (I learnt to always copy, never move files).  Loading a
program would stall or simply fail.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

Windows, it's enough to make a grown man cry!