Re: Replacing laptop cpu

On 05/24/2015 12:49 PM, Ronal B Morse wrote:
On 05/23/2015 11:03 AM, jd1008 wrote:
I have an HP laptop with
AMD Turion II X2 mobile processor RM-72 / 2.1 GHz CPU, Socket S1.
It is now causing blue screens in windows and freezes
linux (pclinuxos, knoppix, fedora live).

I have run the x86 mem test for more than a day, and
found no problems with the 4GB ram (2GB X 2).

I am wondering why the memtest does not freeze????
could it be that only one core is causing the problem?

I think an earlier poster in this thread (Vacelaevus) might have identified a likely problem.

A few years ago there were a number of HP laptops sold with defective G8400/G8600 series nVidia graphics chips...out of spec solder or something as I recall. The symptoms were as you described...the machine would work normally for a period of time and then unexpectedly blue-screen, especially under heavy load. In some cases the problem occurred only intermittently. In some cases, the machine would appear to work normally after they had been allowed to cool down.

In your specific case, memtest doesn't put a very heavy load on the GPU, so it may not have warmed up sufficiently for the problem to manifest.

If your laptop has an nVIdia G8400/G8600/G9200/G9400 series GPU it is highly likely that is the cause of the problem and replacing the CPU will not help. The only recourse is to replace the entire motherboard as the GPU is not user replaceable.

The HP customer service website for your model laptop may contain additional information.

RBM
But this machine had been working for years without this recent issue.
So, I kind of dounbt it he the graphics chip issue.
It's history included the death of the cpu cooling fan, which I replaced.
The laptop belonged to a friend at the time. She sent it to me to fix.
I replaced the cooling fan with an identical one specified by the same
manufacturer and model number on the dead fan.

After fan replacement, it started having this intermittent problem.
So, I am led to strongly suspect that overheating may have caused
the problem before I even put in the new fan.