Re: an idea about upgrades

On 05/12/2015 02:30 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2015 14:10:19 -0600 jd1008 <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05/12/2015 01:58 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2015 13:37:47 -0600 jd1008 <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05/12/2015 01:23 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 05/12/2015 11:52 AM, jd1008 wrote:
On 05/12/2015 12:26 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2015 11:53:38 -0600 jd1008 <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It would be a great idea if Fedora would provide
a way to downgrade to the immediately previous release
(from which the upgrade was performed), if the user
decides (for some reason) to return to the previous
release. This would completely obviate the need to
do a backup, and restore - especially for a 1TB or
more drives (I have a 4TB drive, for example).
Also, and regardless, the default F setup should involve separate
partitions for /home and /usr/local in addition to / and then this
problem would not be a major issue.

Ranjan
You are making a universal assumption, which would not hold true
for most people.
Enforcing any rigid partitioning scheme is going to cause problems as
it won't (and can't) cover every possible scenario. We've already had a
huge flap about using a RAMdisk for /tmp (and dedicating 50% of your
RAM for it). This has caused MANY utilities to misbehave because they
were using /tmp for temporary files (as they should have) and it would
fill up because it was so damned tiny. Fortunately you can disable this
bit of lunacy and change /tmp back to a disk-based filesystem.

The unification of /usr/[s]bin with the root filesystem is another
biggie that's caused huge amounts of heartburn for admins. There's no
easy way around that one other than having a really big / partition to
hold everything. This one isn't as easy to crack.

Other than that unification thing, all you can do is make
recommendations as to partitioning and layout. Everyone's workload is
likely to be a bit different so "one size doesn't fit all".
Fedup does NO partitioning of any kind, at least none that I know of.
It simply makes use of the existing partition.
It does not modify directories like /home or /opt .... etc.
So, it makes no difference if such directories are on
separate partitions. Someone tried ot make an issue
where no such issue exists.
Well, much of the concerns about upgrading/reinstalling are about "losing data". I have always had a separate /home partition and just mounted it unformatted and never noticed a difference from one install to the other (since the days of Fedora Core 1). If you do not have a separate mount, installing does involve a huge amount of time. Hence the suggestion for default behaviour above.

Ranjan

Har!
Losing which data??
fedup has not been know to destroy any "precious" data.
Likewise, "fedown" !!
Well, I was talking about reinstalling. There is no fedup for that. Folks like the OP on F17 can not fedup (and have to reinstall for an upgrade) from what I understood.

Ranjan

My thread said nothing about reinstalling.