Re: The spamming servers

On Sun, 03 May 2015 12:33:43 -0600
jd1008 <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Has anyone else seen this: Unnoticed for years, malware turned Linux
> and BSD servers into spamming machines
>
> http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=3030

I've been thinking about this.  The perfect place to implement an
attack like this is in a proprietary driver.  It is always binary, it
isn't questioned that it is binary for proprietary reasons, and it is
installed without blinking.  Runs with very high priority and access to
system resources.

Imagine that the NVIDIA binary blob had a trojan like this installed.
But instead of sending spam, it sent the private encryption keys of the
system it was installed on.  It would probably never be discovered.
Developing it would take a cabal within nvidia, so it probably hasn't
happened because secrecy would be difficult to maintain.  But if it
did?  Wow.  Jaws music, that video sequence where a great white eats a
seal (It's in this video, https://vimeo.com/98090068, at ~1:19).  I
think most drivers in linux are generic and open source, so I can't
think of other vectors. But maybe the firmware of wifi modems? Has
to be a binary blob, though.

With access to the source, attacks like this are unlikely to be viable
over time.  Someone would question the zipped blob in the source, and
why the program unzips it and executes it, rather that having it as
part of the executable.  i.e.  why is there an obfuscated payload?