Re: SD card programing -

On 04/29/2015 09:39 AM, bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 04/29/15 11:19, Greg Woods wrote:

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:46 AM, <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I have to get the SD card and whatever is required to program it
    from Fedora 21 or 22, or buy one preprogrammed.

Pretty much any old SD card would do. I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Frustration-Free-Packaging--SDSDB-016G-AFFP/dp/B007JRB0SS/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1430320408&sr=1-3&keywords=sd+card

By far the most popular OS for Rasperry Pi is Raspbian (a Debian derivative). There is a lot more third party software available for this. But there is also Pidora (a Fedora variant) which I have successfully installed and tested.

I currently have an older Pi model B in service as my Bacula storage server, with an external 4TB USB drive for online backups, plus a USB enclosure that allows swapping drives to use for archival backups. Works great. Pi's have lots of uses.

--Greg

.

Well I can see that it has to be the small micro SD type care if it's going to fit the socket and case that came with it.

But what I am really asking I guess is how do I connect the SD card to a desktop computer to install Pidora or whatever? The only thing I see that accepts the SD card is the Raspberry board.

Bob

There are several micro SD card adapters on Ebay for very cheap price.
The only thing you need to look at your fedora machine is a thin slot that
is slightly more than an inch in width which accepts the Macro size SD card.
So, adapters which are of the Macro SD card size, accept micro SD cards
as inserts, and of course, you insert the Macro SD card adapter into the thin
slot mentioned above.
If you have no such slot on your Fedora Machine, you can by a USB adapter
that has micro and Macro  SD card slots. Again Ebay is your friend.