Re: Fedora 21: How to download files from my Galaxy S5

> On 04/27/2015 04:42 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:
>>   This worked fine on my older Android Photon Q so I expected the same
>> on
>> this new Galaxy S5. I plugged in the cable, found the mount point and,
>> as my guest1 user, located the filesystem and files. I saw they were rw
>> (read/write) and thought all was well. I tried to tar the whole thing up
>> and noticed errors. Here's some more detail:
> I just plugged in my S6 and there was a notification in my system
> messages section ( swipe down from top) that once I tapped it, it gave
> me 2 options. It showed up as " connected as an installer:. when I
> tapped it, it gave me two options to check-
> 1. Media device ( MTP)
> 2. Camera (PTP.
> once I selected them, all the android folders were visible to Fedora..

> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux User #367800 and new counter #561587

  Just once I would like something I haven't tried yet to work properly on
Fedora 21 without having to fight with it first :). But, as I mentioned
my older phone worked fine so maybe the problem is with this Galaxy S5.

  I am rather confused by the error message. Running "mount" shows the
filesystem is "rw", an "ls -la" shows:

-rw-------   1 guest1   guest1    753726 Jan 23 16:37:02 2015
IMG_20150123_163703_512.jpg

  but the file command says it's "writable, executable, regular file, no
read permission". Yes I am running as guest1 (since you can't get into
the directory as root which in itself is bizarre).

  All I want to do is copy the damn files to my hard drive. So does anyone
have any idea on what I should try next? Maybe try different mount
options? Also, is this a bug in Fedora?

  Oops, almost forgot to answer the question. My phone also has the MTP
and PTP options. It came up MTP and that let's me see every file but not
copy them. PTP works and I can copy the files it shows, it just doesn't
show them all. It might be showing just the working files on the phone,
not the pictures and videos.

Jim Lewis
http://jklewis.com <- My resume,  Java games, and link to my Linux book
are here. Website has no ads!