Re: F21 partitioning circus

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/25/2015 09:30 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> If people aren't actually going to test what we have, and file bug
>> report,
>
> If you want to see this thing fixed, tested and see bug reports, then
> publish updates on a regular basis. Monthly network installer iso images,
> for instance.

Rawhide nightlies have boot.iso (which is network installer ISO).

But that isn't even necessary, any bug report is better than zero
report. And I did say to cc me on the bug. If it's a coherent report
and easily reproduced, I can incidentally confirm/deny it in a newer
build.

>> Stability and trustworthiness are immensely more valuable in a GUI
>> installer than "expert" features;
>
> I once again disagree. This is populism and over-generalization.
>
> "80% of all US-American eat burgers twice a week => all we need is to
> support burgers - Mind you?"

It is not a populist argument, because I argued against the much
larger expert category in favor of the much smaller vision impaired
user base. My argument is about giving as many users access as
possible without negatively affecting others. And quite frankly as a
predominately OS X user, I think I have some qualification when I say
the fact I'm comfortable making rather advanced storage stacks at
linux CLI indicates anyone who claims to be a power user / expert
already has sufficient access. You do not need more access, you simply
want more access. But that access siphons resources away from others,
and your inevitably more cluttered expert UI makes everyone's life
including newbie users more difficult. Be happy with kickstart,
honestly, there's nothing really like it on either Windows or OS X. Or
hey, another option is to pick up a shovel and help with blivet-gui
etc.

> And yes, an aspect, we haven't yet discussed is the look'n'feel of the GUI -
> Sure, this is personal taste, I do not consider the anaconda GUI changes as
> improvements.

I have criticized the UI/UX of the installer. I have almost totally
given up on that at this point because there's just no will power on
the part of Anaconda to fix it, absent extremely clear proven concepts
to fix the deficiencies rather than just throw spaghetti at a wall to
find out how many less users the UI/UX annoys. So if you have some
mock ups and at least clear rationalization of how this improves
UI/UX, file an RFE. But it's better if you can at least ping the
Fedora UI expert: http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/ which is, BTW, where
mockups of the Anaconda new UI appeared almost a year before they were
baked into the installer. And it was a few months before Fedora 18
that had the best chance for having the most affect with the least
burden for demonstrating how things needed to be different - and that
ship has sailed. (And I know because I missed it also.)

>> let alone "expert" features that
>> only sometimes work.
>
> Once again: I feel you are trying to have "smart" features - This is not
> what "experts" want -

Tough.

>They want full control,

Tough. No. Get used to disappointment. I'm not sympathetic.

> should be able to cope with
> errors,

No because a GUI application itself must have error handling
internally to keep it from doing basic things like, you know,
crashing.

> so all you'd have to do would be to enable them to to so.

No.

> Unfortunately, I can't see this in recent installers.

OK well I'll put you in the troublemaker category too because you keep
saying you see problems but you've given no examples and you've
supplied no bug reports.

--
Chris Murphy