Re: F21 partitioning circus

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/23/2015 12:56 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> If you really want partitions, why aren't you doing this with gparted
>> then? What's the problem with that workflow? Why do you need it
>> integrated in Anaconda?
>

> One of the constraints on what anaconda can do comes from space limitations,
> especially on the Live media.  (One of the reasons why I've always used the
> full install DVD.)

Anaconda's supported layouts (usage of device types, and creating
volume associated with mountpoints) is not any different among the
various medias available. Manual Partitioning behaves exactly the
same. What will be new in Fedora 22 is, guided partitioning will offer
different defaults for the different products. So you'll need to be
more specific what limitations you're talking about.

> Is there room to include GParted and have anaconda call
> it if needed?

>From live media, just yum/dnf install gparted and now it's in the live
environment. You can partition however you want. There's no easy way
for Anaconda and Gparted to be used at the same time, in effect
Anaconda has a lock on the storage stack and changing it from
underneath it will cause it to become unstable; and engineering it to
work differently so that it can deal with Gparted changing things
underneath it is asking for a huge amount of logistical work to make
it stable. As in, not worth the effort.

But you can certainly use Gparted first, complete the task of creating
the layout you want, and then quit Gparted and launch the installer.
Realize that Gparted is partition oriented only, it's not adept at any
of the LVM or LVM thinp stuff, or Btrfs. At the moment I'm not seeing
blivet-gui in Fedora repos but you have a functioning FireFox on live
media so you can still retrieve it that way. It supports all the
things the installer does but with a Gparted like interface.

--
Chris Murphy