Re: F21 partitioning circus

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This has been a discussion for quite a while over on the devel list (the
> shortcomings/obfuscation in anaconda). I'd highly suggest that you put
> in your $0.02 over there. I have for quite a while but I guess I don't
> carry a lot of weight over there.

I'll tell you what, let's play a game. I call it, "vet this probably
really bad idea before posting it on devel@". Put your use case up on
this list, and get just 5 users to vote in favor of it, while not one
person puts forth an effective contra argument proving that it's
actually dangerous to others. That might be a good basic litmus test
before going on devel@ and flinging pies at people.

Mind you, Anaconda developers don't really monitor devel@, they have
their own list (which might be part of the problem with there are
major disagreements surrounding the installer but that's a different
matter).

> I'm with you. Should anaconda see a manually-laid-out partition scheme, it
> should honor it.

Saying things does not make it true.

However, one of the installer team's stated goals is to support
preexisting layouts, just by assigning mountpoints to volumes. So if
you can't do that, file a bug or cite bug here instead of just
suggesting it can't be done.

And please stop calling it a partition scheme. Only one of the support
device types in Anaconda even deals with partitions directly and
that's "Standard Partitions". On Btrfs it's using subvolumes as mount
points. On LVM it's using LVs or vsize LV's. These things are not all
partitions and that's the primary reason why the installer isn't
partition centric anymore. It's volumes and mountpoints oriented,
that's what's consistent across each device type.

> It should also permit one to create a partition
> scheme that meets one's own needs without having to spin twice in an
> anticlockwise direction on your right foot while quoting Omar Khayyam
> and then sacrificing a goat under a full moon on the Nazca plains.

You're right, you've found a bug. That's definitely the wrong
ritualistic incantation to compel the installer to be permissive of a
bad idea it can't possibly understand.

--
Chris Murphy