Re: Brother HL-L2340DW -

On 02/04/15 15:18, Fred Smith wrote:
well. in that case, it may be a good idea to:
1. open a support ticket with Brother, specifically to get their web
    site's download page fixed;
2. search their site for the driver installer I mentioned in an earlier
    mail. it is supposed to be able to find and download the drivers
    for you, when you run it.
3. if one of the more generic drivers for cups on your linux system works,
    use it. that's what I did for years with my HL2070N.
.
Yes, I have done as in item 3 above and the printer works wirelessly as expected. I have tried different drivers on the Brother printers I have and they always seem to print, I know that. I was just asking if someone had been through this with this model and wanted to know what they had done. I don't have any problem setting up printers.

In this case basic stuff like the mac address was not specified anywhere, usually it's on a label at least and I needed that to set up a static dhcp address. I eventually got that from a self test page and learned later that it can be read from a one line LCD display included instead of the usual row of lights but doing that involves a lot of not very intuitive button pushing and the printer installation instructions are geared to Windows and an included CD. There is no ethernet port, a negative, USB or wifi only. I rationalized that I will only use the wifi anyway so I can live with that limitation.

I could go on but ...

Thanks,

Bob

--