Re: OT: disabling <ctrl><shift>f produces a "find" menu.

On Sun, 2014-12-14 at 20:12 +1300, Rolf Turner wrote:
> One more thing, if I may be permitted:  You (Tim) in your previous
> email mentioned the possibility of needing a cheat-sheet for the less
> obvious key combinations for constructing "non-standard" characters.
> Do such cheat-sheets exist?  Is there a URL whence I could obtain one?

I've lost track of my last good reference.  No doubt there's probably a
few that can be found by searching for unix compose characters.

Ahmad Samir pointed out the file that's on your computer, it should be
the table of the ones that are actually available to you (there are some
variations on how some characters can be done, or which are available,
across different installations).

In the middle of a lot of cryptic gibberish, are the sequence of keys
you need to press to get particular glyphs, with examples and
descriptions of what they're supposed to be.

e.g. <Multi_key> <a> <e>  : "æ"  ae # LATIN SMALL LETTER AE

You could copy the useful parts from it, neaten it up, and print it out.

e.g. key ea  æ
     key oe  œ

Oh, and to make things easier, in case you haven't worked this out.  You
don't (have to) hold the compose key down while you type those letters.
You hit compose, let compose go, type e, let e go, type a, let a go, and
up pops æ.

Some of these combinations were a little oddball.  I ended up putting
some macros into VIM so that I could type characters quicker when
editing HTML.  I used the backslash key as my macro start, since I've
rarely ever got need for it on Linux, and can simply get with a \\
(double backslash).

e.g. \[ and \] did “and” quote marks, \' gets a proper ’ appostrophe.
Simpler for me to type, and the [ and ] symbols are right above the
ASCII " mark, on my keyboard.  Likewise, I have \- for en-dash, \= for
em-dash, and \... for a horizontal ellipsis.

They're the most common, and what I consider *normal* and essential
punctuation that I regularly use.

And this had the advantage that it worked on all my keyboards, whether I
was typing directly on the computer I'm using, or over SSH.  Not all my
keyboards have a spare key to use for composing.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.4-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Fri Nov 21 23:59:46 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.