Re: Latest systemd news

On 12/01/14 17:27, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
There are several
different components which haven't been adopted nor even proposed
because they are simply not yet ready or not general purpose enough to
be used by default.

Well, if they are not yet ready or not general purpose enough to be used by default they should not be adopted. We have enough of not yet ready products and does not need any more.

But what happens when they are ready? Will they be part of Fedora then?

What ready parts, or what not general purpose enough parts of systemd has not been adopted by Fedora? That is what I am pointing at. With the meaning that what we discuss in this thread with huge probability will make it into Fedora when it is ready, just as the rest of the systemd suite.

    I.e. it might very well be adopted and therefor a discussion about
    it is in order. Why wait for the inevitable?

That makes no sense.  You don't discuss developmental features of
upstream projects in a users list.

It makes perfect sense. It will with huge probability make it into Fedora and because of that it will affect the users of Fedora who thereby have all the rights to discuss this user issues on the users list. Even at this early stage.

    This is not about a test or development release. It is about new
    functionality finding its way into systemd

Precisely why it is even more offtopic to discuss them here.  This list
is meant for helping users on general releases of Fedora. Any features
that are not part of the general releases of Fedora is not suitable for
discussion here.  We wrote up the list guidelines for a reason.  Please
follow them.

I have been on the RedHat/Fedora lists since about 1996 and seen the progress of the different list and (endless?) discussions about what to discuss and what not to discuss. And judging from that experience, I see no harm whatsoever in discussing new functionality that (eventually) will make it into Fedora default and thereby affect the users of Fedora.

The issue being discussed in this thread has nothing to do with test releases and has because of that nothing to do on the test list. It has nothing to do with the development releases (rawhide) and has because of that nothing to do on the fedora-devel list. But again, this will affect the users of Fedora, and this list is about the users of Fedora.

Rahul, precisely where in the guidelines does it say that it is, on this list, prohibited to discuss new functionality in a package used by Fedora, functionality that with huge probability will make into Fedora? And if it is prohibited here, where should it be discussed (out of the Fedora mailing lists)?

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/