Re: dracut/grubby fails to update grub.cfg

Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I try to not answer to much, because I dont want to argue to much, I
just wanted a solution for my problem and this had nothing to do with
secure boot, but I give my 2 cents to it.

Did you really happen to see such a exploit in the wild that somebody
used kvm to start windows to hack a linux pc? Not that Secure boot could
hinder that at every level, just on a bootstack level or something. Or
do you want to say to me, that it makes it impossible to change any
binaries on the system or in the ram? I am not so much into it, but I
doubt that.

So to solve a theoretical problem we create other problems users that
cant use Linux because of that garbage.

I get that that wasnt your desition, and heck u dont care as company 0%
about privat users but 100% about companies.

But still its hard to hear that argument, that solving a theoretical in
practise never happend (I would be amused if you give me a link or
something where it happend) problem for companies and hurting real users
that are new to linux, and even the pro linux users, are hurted because
they have to invest more time into maintaining this stuff.

But secure boot is not even the main problem, if you redhat and co do
your job right and pay microsoft much money that they allow computers to
boot linux in the future (except smaller distros will not happen because
of this) even in a few years when there will be no secureboot off button
in bios anymore, or maybe even today on some models, I dont care to
much, or I have to eat it, lets say it that way.

I just have more problems with this GPT things, I thought it would be a
good idea, or its more modern and has more features, but that u know
suddenly need 3 partitions as absolute minimum to get a bootable system
is just insane, I talk about GPT to not get that out of context again.

And the tools suck, sorry that its possible to have a gpt AND mbr
partition table is just retarded it should hinder you or at least warn
you to do that. fdisk should be able to see when there are gpt partition
and just refuse to work till you deleted the gpt table and so on.

and where is the mk-minimal-system-partitions command, I dont want to
remember how big this things are because its stuff for grub and has with
my data my linux nothing to do.

I am shure thats not your fault, but if the experinces outside your
grafical linux installer is so bad, its pretty logical that nobody wants
this except he gets payed to have shitty tools and hit his head for more
safety of a company (except in reality its only more theoretical
security).

Sorry if I did run into that to much, and maybe I mixed a bit at the end
security stuff from secureboot with gpt stuff in the heat of me arguing.

But at least maybe I gave you some critic on the linux tools the
implementation or somebody else thats above the general critics of the
technology and more about how tools should maybe be.

Its just till now it was fdisk /dev/sda c enter enter w enter q enter
mkfs.ext4 ... rsync /mnt/old_hd/... enter grub-mkconfig grub-install
/dev/sda done...

you had something that boots.

now its so much more complicated at least when you use gpt. and you can
do so much more mistakes...

last time I tried to fix it, I used then some ubuntu rootfix tool
because I was unable after 3-4 reboots to fix it manuelly.

Boot-repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair