Re: Canon MG5520 wireless printer

On 10/10/2014 08:52 PM, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
On Fri, 2014-10-10 at 19:47 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 10/09/2014 08:43 AM, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
On Thu, 2014-10-09 at 08:23 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:

the device, it just all happened automatically. As a side issue to this,
the Canon supplied drivers also provided the facility to wirelessly scan
to the computer with the device as well.
And so does sane  with the pixma backend: it also supports a bjnp
-protocol (but scanning uses port 8612)
Kind regards, Louis
I couldn't figure out how to get sane to wirelessly scan until I got the
canon driver for scanning, and then that driver automatically appear in
Sane's/Xsane's list of drivers to scan with.
Did you open port 8612 UDP on the firewall? Sane can not do that for
you, neither can cups-bjnp open port 8611 UDP
I didn't open that port, but I don't think I have a firewall running as I have never had to open 8611 for Cups/Gutenprint to be able to see and use my previous or current Canon wireless printer/multifunction device. The wireless printers were always visible to Cups as soon as they were turned on. Having installed the Canon proprietary scanning rpm for my new Canon device, that interface is listed in Xsane as a device I can scan from, but I haven't actually tried it yet. I'm not all that impressed with the Canon printer driver around the device's ability to print directly to dvd's. There isn't any entry in the driver to specify dvd printing nor select the dvd tray as a source. The documentation says it is handled automatically, but I haven't found anything that can use that function other than some software provided by Canon under Windows, and they don't have a linux version of that software. There is no support for the device in Gutenprint currently, but I believe a driver is under development to potentially be included in the next version of gutenprint. I should download the source sometime and test out the dvd printing interface as I understand that needs a bit of work to function properly.

regards,
Steve

regards,
Louis