Re: F20 is fubar

Chris Murphy wrote:

I'll answer the question I wish you had asked (classic politician's
strategy):

It's well understood that wireless is something of a CF on linux in general.
So I'd say this is both "Not News" and "yes that sucks." You're probably best
off wired for starters to get kernel, wpa_supplicant, NetworkManager and
their dependencies updated.

It is good that the networking comes up on boot, however it would be nice,
when the system encountered a nfs mount in the fstab, it would mount them
before completing the boot process.

Absolutely true, but honestly I would settle for an option in fstab to manually provide that info. Just as there is a "noauto" option, an option use-net would be good, and if something is to be mounted on another filesystem, that should be delayed, not errored out.

This might be better setup with systemd.mount or systemd.automount than with
fstab so that you can specify that networking be pulled in before trying to
do the mount. Maybe someone could argue that systemd-fstab-generator should
be creating .mount units this way automatically from fstab when the
filesystem is NFS, but I don't know a lot about this and is a question for a
systemd-devel search.

Me, I'll argue that the mounts should all be in fstab and work. I'm not against options to clarify what I expect, but having to edit a bunch of files really makes administration complex, which is a synonym for error-prone. I have long felt that Fedora distro sometimes fails to consider complexity, because developers deal with one environment and aren't in the real world, with Windows, AIX, HP-UX, IOS, and maybe firewalls using BSD. Simple and easy to use have a real impact on TCO for the typical mixed bag of a corporate environment.

Glad to know everything is working now.

Chris Murphy

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>