Re: OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

On 13/07/14 12:14, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 07/13/14 07:35, Rolf Turner wrote:

Yes, I had to muck around a bit to get Adobe Reader installed; yum
didn't "directly" work (probably because my Fedora 17 is EOL).

According to notes that I kept, the recipe (found somewhere on the
web) that I used was:

su
rpm -ivh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
yum -y install nspluginwrapper.i686 AdobeReader_enu

This seemed to work .... until now???

The output from the ldd command is lengthy, so I am sending it as an attachment.

Thanks very much for taking the time to think about my problem.

OK.... Seems like reader is installed fine. You can prove this by
running "acroread" and bringing up the reader.....which is a 32-bit
application.

I use acroread all the time and it seems to work just fine.

I'm pretty sure the error message is harmless as I don't think
t-birdmakes use of that particular plug-in.

I kind of figured that. Still I don't like having these little untidinesses in my system. Upsets my OC craving for order.

Now, you probably will run into a bit of difficulty or
inconvenience.You have 2 copies of t-bird installed. One is well integrated with
Fedora. The other not. So, if you were to click on a mailto: link in a
web page, the older version of T-Bird will start. Also, at the moment,
you are probably starting T-Bird from a command line. Not sure if you
want to go about fixing that.

I think I know how to handle that. I am *currently* starting T-bird from the command line, but now that I am reasonably happy that the upgrade is working OK I'm pretty sure that I can tidy things up and make T-bird start from a clickable icon.

FWIW, when I previously replied I didn't notice that my message went
directly to you. This AM I resent to the list for completeness. If you
want to keep this discussion off-list, it is fine by me.

Not a problem to stay on-list. I just replied to your off-list message before I saw your on-list one. I am cc-ing this reply to the list.

Another thing..... On my systems I have....

[egreshko@meimei opt]$ rpm -q AdobeReader_enu
AdobeReader_enu-9.5.5-1.i486

I don't think that latest, and last, version is in the Adobe repo. I
downloaded the rpm from Adobe and installed directly.

I just did "rpm -q AdobeReader_enu" on my laptop and got

AdobeReader_enu-9.5.5-1.i486

which is, unless my eyes deceive me, exactly what you got. So (unless I misunderstand) all is well, nicht wahr?

Thanks for your help.

cheers,

Rolf Turner